‘Expansion without precedent’: the Education scene in China today.
According to Yale president, Richard Levin in 2010, ‘China has built the largest higher-education sector in the world within a decade. This expansion in capacity is without precedent.’
- China has 4000 million students
- Children typically start formal education at age 2
- Almost all youth in school for 9 years
- Attendance in Primary School is 99% Tuition is free
- Since 1986, there are 70,000 private schools at all levels.
- 60% of High School graduates go on to third level.
- There are 2.000 universities and colleges with 2 million students
- ‘Harvard Girl’ was a ‘how-to’ bestseller in 2000, written by the parents of a girl who went to Harvard.
- 127,000 Chinese students are in the USA, they are the largest group of foreign students there.
- There are 14,000 American students in China.
- There are 2,700 Chinese students and 2,400 in Ireland-related institutes in China.
- There are also 2,400 English language students from China in Ireland.